October 16, 2023

The Joy of Self Discipline

Being brought up in a family where I was never told to wake up early or take bath after waking up etc., I found the joy of waking up early when I started living alone for my first job. 

Waking up and going for jogging just before sunrise made me feel so refreshed and looking forward to each day with excitement. I added morning meditation to my routine and some art like a small painting or a small dance and it made my days so beautiful. I continued this practice for almost 15 years, with some breaks, and I enjoyed myself and my days tremendously. Overtime, meditating for all these years, I had completely forgotten what boredom or laziness looks like. 

I just enjoyed myself. There was a change in this phase, after having a baby few years back. Even though it was one of the most rewarding experience ever, I was no more able to wake up early, meditate, spend time in any creative pursuit, since I was not getting enough sleep. Recently, I started the morning routine again, which started from having a light dinner, no gadgets at night, sleeping by 10 pm and waking up by 5 am. 

Waking up at 5 am, being alone with the silence of the twilight, gives me such orientation for the day. After taking bath, I sit for meditation and then yoga. I feel settled in my being and energetic in my body, I cook for my beloved people either in silence of some lovely background music. And then the day begins with my beloved people waking up - hugging them is so precious and makes me look forward to each day. I do not touch my mobile until around 8:45 am. 

This self discipline is not forced from outside but I thoroughly find joy after I discipline myself. I have always felt that Discipline comes out of joy and not out of restraint or external force. On days that I skip my morning routine, I feel a difference in myself and my body and hence I go back to my morning routine again. 

What wonders self discipline can do, we cannot imagine. What magic meditation does in the morning to our being, yoga or exercise to our body, we do not know unless we experiment ourselves. But discipline follows inner joy. It needs a little will in the beginning until we start enjoying ourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your message :)